Unit/ Formation: 42 Cdo RM
Location: Great Britian
Period/ Conflict: World War II
Date/s: 1st August 1943
Formed on 1st August 1943 at Sway (nr Lymington) from 1st RM Bn, the Commando was redesignated: 42 RM Commando (Light) in August 1945, and 42 Commando RM early in 1946.
Formed as No. 42 Royal Marine Commando, Royal Marines, on the 1st August 1943 from the disbanded 1st RM Battalion. Those not selected for the Commandos were posted primarily to Landing Craft duties. On the 5th October 1943 the unit attended the Commando Basic Training Centre (CBTC) Achnacarry for Commando training.
After their training, the Commando moved for a brief spell in billets at Hearne Bay, before being transported by train to Gourock arriving on the 11th November 1943. Embarking on HMT Ranchi they set sail for the Far East on the 15th November 1943, accompanied by No 1 Commando and 75 Nursing Sisters.
During the journey they were attacked by enemy aircraft from Rhodes and after the ship was hit they diverted for repairs to Alexandria where the Commando spent Christmas camped at Sidi Bishr. The Commando then travelled from Port Tewfik to Bombay on board the ships Scynthia and City of London. They arrived at Bombay on the 20th January 1944 and then travelled onward by train to Kedgaon where 3 Special Service (later renamed Commando) Brigade assembled.
After a stay at Kedgaon, the Commando proceeded by road to Castle Rock near Belgaum for training. On completion of this training the Commando moved to Cocanada. Soon the Commando was on the move again this time to Nilaveli Camp at Trincomalee where they remained for the next 3 weeks.
On the 3rd October 1944 the Commando embarked with No 1 Commando on board HMT Nevasa for Calcutta. From there they proceeded by rail and river steamer to a transit camp in Chittagong where they remained for a week. They then proceeded by LCI to Teknaf to relieve the 1st Ox and Bucks in the line at Maungdaw.
On the 2nd January 1945 the Commando embarked on board the ships Napier and Nepal for Akyab. The unopposed landing took place on the 3rd January with No.5 Commando and 42RM Commando being the first ashore. A few days later they embarked on board HM Indian ships Jumna and Narbada for the assault on the Myebon penninsula on the 12th January. It was from Myebon that the Commando moved by LCA and LCM to Kangaw which culminated very soon afterwards in the Battle for Hill 170 on the 31st January 1945.
The Unit survives to this day as 42 Commando Royal Marines part of 3 Commando Brigade.
Unit Flag is red St George cross on white cross over yellow ground, with white number ‘42’ dissected by inverted dagger in the centre.
This flag is based on a Lt–Col’s colour in the Lord High Admiral’s Rgt of 1664–89, adopted by 1st RM Bn as their unit flag in World War II.
A selection of related 'Dits'
A Brief History of 44 Royal Marine Commando at The Battle of Hill 170 (including actions by 42 Cdo)
References/ further reading: Command Veterans Association