• Si Biggs

Major General Sir John Jeremy Moore

Major General Sir John Jeremy Moore, KCB,OBE,MC & Bar (5 July 1928 – 15 September 2007) was a British senior Royal Marine officer who served as the commander of the British land forces during the Falklands War in 1982. Moore received the surrender of the Argentine forces on the islands.

Moore came from a military family. His father, Lieutenant Colonel Charles Moore, and paternal grandfather, who joined the York and Lancaster Regiment as a private, were both awarded the Military Cross in 1916 during the First World War. His maternal grandfather was wounded at Tel el-Kebir in 1880, and later commanded the 4th Hussars.

Moore served as Housemaster of the Royal Marines School of Music in Deal, Kent in 1954, as an instructor at the NCO's School, as adjutant with 45 Commando from 1957 to 1959, spending much time in operations against EOKA in Cyprus, and then as an instructor at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst until 1962.

He was posted to Brunei to join 42 Commando, as a company commander and later adjutant. While a company commander, he was awarded a Bar to the Military Cross in December 1962 when he led an attack against rebels holding the town of Limbang in the Sarawak area of Borneo, rescuing British and Australian hostages. He and his men were ferried across a river by Royal Navy Lieutenant Jeremy Black, who went on to command HMS Invincible in the Falklands War.

'I assess the most important factor in the success of the operation was first class leadership by junior NCOs. Their section battle craft was a joy to watch and the credit for this belongs to the troop and Section commanders.’
Captain JJ Moore RM

Moore led the 42 Commando on a tour of duty in the then Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) stronghold of New Lodge.

On promotion to lieutenant colonel in 1971, Moore was appointed in command of 42 Commando, completing two tours of duty in Northern Ireland, including participation in the high-profile Operation Motorman to eliminate areas proclaimed by the IRA as "no-go" to the Army and police. He was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1973.

Moore commanded the Royal Marines School of Music from 1973 to 1975, and then studied at the Royal College of Defence Studies in 1976.

He commanded 3 Commando Brigade from 1977 until he was promoted to major general in 1979 and took command of all Royal Marine commando forces.

He was appointed a Companion of the Order of the Bath in 1982, and was on the verge of retirement when the Commandant General Royal Marines, Lieutenant General Sir Stuart Pringle, was badly injured by a bomb planted by the IRA. Moore remained as Major General Commando Forces to cover for Pringle while he recovered.

Moore was handing over to the recuperated Pringle when Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands on 2 April 1982. He joined the task force planning team at Northwood before flying south to take command of land forces in theatre. His planning post was taken by Lieutenant General Richard Trant. Moore relieved Brigadier Julian Thompson as ground commander when he arrived shortly before the 5th Infantry Brigade, travelling ahead on HMS Antrim to reach the islands on 30 May.

Brigadier Julian Thompson, Commander 3 Commando Brigade (left), Major General Jeremy Moore, Commander of British Military Forces on the Falkland Islands (centre) and Colonel Brian Pennicott, Commander Royal Artillery, at an impromptu open air planning conference during the land campaign.

Moore implemented the plans proposed by Thompson, with the British soldiers forced to march across the inhospitable islands in the absence of sufficient helicopters and against Argentine resistance. He accepted the surrender of the Argentinian commander, General de Brigada Mario Menéndez, in Port Stanley on 14 June 1982.

Major General Jeremy Moore, Commander of the British Forces on the Falkland Islands holds up the Instrument of Surrender signed by the Commander of the Argentine Forces. (© IWM FKD 430)

Moore was advanced to Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath on 11 October 1982 "in recognition of service within the operations in the South Atlantic", and left the Marines in 1983.

He became Director General of the Food Manufacturers Federation, but left 18 months later. Later in life, he raised money for research into liver diseases after having a liver transplant.

He was Colonel Commandant of the Royal Marines from 1990 to 1993, and joined the parade to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Falklands War at Horse Guards Parade and the Mall on 17 June 2007.

Moore married his wife, Veryan, in 1966. They had two daughters and a son. In later years, he suffered from arthritis and prostate cancer. Moore died on 15 September 2007, aged 79, and was survived by his wife and three children.

(Extracted from Wikipedia)

More RM People

Major General Julian Thompson, CB, OBE

John Field - RM People "We thought we were immortal.” Operation Husky

Guy Griffiths - Royal Marines Airman, Painter, Forger and Spy

40 Cdo RM Dieppe 1942 - Major-General 'Titch' Houghton


  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon

United Kingdom

Breakfast at Babs

What could possibly go wrong....?


© 2016 by Simon Biggs. Proudly created with Wix.com

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now