Royal Marines 5 AA (Anti Aircraft) Bde - Shooting down over 122 V1 'Divers'
Unit/ Formation: Royal Marines Location: Antwerp/ Sheldt Period/ Conflict: World War II
Year: 1944 Date/s: 2nd March 1944
5 RM AA Brigade: Units of MNBDO AA Brigade retained were formed in 5 RM AA Brigade on 22/3/1944.
Equipped with the QF 3.7-inch AA was Britain's primary heavy anti-aircraft gun during World War II. It was roughly the equivalent of the German 88 mm FlaK and American 90 mm, but with a slightly larger calibre of 94 mm. Production began in 1937 and it was used throughout World War II in all theatres except the Eastern Front. It remained in use after the war until AA guns were replaced by guided missiles beginning in 1957.
QF 3.7-inch AA Battery in Hyde Park (not RM)
The 5th R.M. A.A. Brigade, standing by to cross the Channel, was diverted to tackle the latest of German novelties-the flying bomb (the V1 was codenamed 'Divers').
Two regiments were deployed in critical areas in the approaches to London, and between them they accounted for 122 flying bombs before they were moved across Channel to carry on with the same task in Antwerp.
Manned Scheldt AA defences in the winter of 1944-1945, posted on the southern side of the Scheldt Estuary guarding against aircraft dropping Parachute mines in the approaches to Antwerp Docks and the Ghent canal.
R.M. A.A. gunners were also deployed to protect the approaches to the Scheldt estuary from explosive motor boats and midget submarines, while Marines in small L.C.S. (M) played a part in the naval force that patrolled the waterways against these " mosquito " attacks.
Relieved 5/3/1945 after having contributed to the defence of Antwerp against V1 and V2 attacks.
Returned UK May 1945 and disbanded 12/1945.
Personnel and HQs absorbed by 27th and 28th RM.
See it pinned her: RM A Geo History