Formation of 43 Cdo Royal Marines
nit/ Formation: 43 Cdo RM
Period/ Conflict: World War II
Date/s: 1st August 1943
43 Commando was formed on 1st August 1943 after the decision was made to convert the battalions of the Royal Marine Division into commando units.
The initial intake of personnel was drawn from the 2nd Battalion, Royal Marines, and following commando training at Achnacarry in Scotland, the unit consisted of about 450 men organized into a headquarters, five infantry troops consisting of three officers and 63 other ranks, along with a heavy weapons troop—armed with Vickers machine guns, 3-inch mortars and 6-pounder anti-tank guns—and a signals platoon.
Along with No. 2, No. 9 and No. 40 (Royal Marine) Commandos, 43 Commando formed the 2nd Special Service Brigade. Throughout the course of 1943–45, No. 43 (Royal Marine) Commando served in Italy, Yugoslavia and Greece.
43 Commando RM was re–formed on the 5th September 1961 at Stonehouse Barracks Plymouth under the command of Lieut. Col. Willasey-Wilsey MBE,MC,RM. and remained operational until disbanded again at Eastney on the 1st October 1968.
43 Commando RM was more recently reformed as 43 Commando Fleet Protection Group Royal Marines. It is the largest in the Corps and is responsible for protecting the nation’s nuclear deterrent as well as taking the fight to modern-day pirates in specialist boarding teams.